Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Sweet Home Alabama

We're back!  Today is Tuesday, so we've now been in the new house a little over a week, and a little over a week back in Alabama... and we're thrilled!  Here's an update on how the closing, moving day and subsequent days went... 

Nick closed on the house with no issues or problems (thank goodness!) on Thursday the 12th.  The moving company arrived at our Nashville house early the morning of Friday the 13th (yes, I was totally prepared for everything to go wrong), and they had us packed up in about 3 hours. As soon as the truck doors closed, I was in the car and headed to Birmingham. Nick was at work, so I arrived at the house about an hour ahead of the movers, and they had the truck unpacked quickly, and Nick arrived home no too much later. I was so excited to be reunited with Mr. Dees! It was way harder than I thought to be away from him for 10 days. We've been separated that long before, but I guess with the excitement of things it made the anticipation to see him that much stronger.  We put our bed together in no time and we settled in.  It was a great night's sleep in the new house!

The next morning my Mom drove up from Mobile to help me unpack and get some things organized while Nick was at work.  We had a great time tooling around town for the various things we needed like paint, paint supplies, some decor items and cleaning products.  Mom stayed until early Tuesday morning, but we got another exciting present as Nick's Dad was working on some special projects in Tuscaloosa, so he came and stayed with us for 3 days that week as well.  It was great!  Nick and my father-in-law were able to get Nick's "man cave" wired up for the surround sound (you know, the boy stuff) and spend some quality time together.  I just love the relationships that we have with our parents, and it was such a special gift to have at least some of our family here right away.  

So... today is Tuesday the 24th, and we have finally unpacked the last box TODAY!  We have slowly but surely put things in their place and taken it room by room.  We are still in need of a few things:  a dining room table and chairs (the void left by their absence in the middle of the house is really noticeable - photos below), new chairs for our breakfast table (I hate the red chairs!), some bar stools for the breakfast bar, a bed for our 2nd guest room, and some new office furniture.  We have decided to keep the color scheme muted with shades of grey, black, white and silver with touches of red.  Since it is such an open floor plan, we think it will look much better if all the colors are in the same family.  I just painted our master bedroom yesterday (yes... all by myself! Yay Me!) and I am in LOVE with the color!  It is a color called "Steel" which on the swatch was a dark grey, but it is even better on the wall as it reads with a little touch of dark blue base.  I still have to paint the bathroom, but I need a painting break for a few days... it really is hard on the body!  Ha!  Here are some photos that I took today after everything was put away:


Front of the house from the street
Living Room - it is one large open living space from the living area to dining room, breakfast room and kitchen

Master Bathroom - this room will be painted also - the color is a couple shades lighter than the bedroom called "Sterling"

Master Bathroom - this room will be painted also - the color is a couple shades lighter than the bedroom called "Sterling"


Master Bedroom - painted a color called "Steel".  Still to come are night stands, quilt for the foot of the bed, lamps, art, curtains and a bench for the end of the bed.

Master Bedroom - looking from the corner to the closets.  Searching for an accent table for under the TV (want to hide those ugly plugs).

Bed

Kitchen - looking from breakfast room

Kitchen

More kitchen... we love the gas cooktop, and all that counter and cabinet space!

This gazebo is in the middle of the park just behind our house - I took this photo from our back patio.  We plan to fence the yard, but we will still be able to see this from the house.  Lovely view!

Looking from Living Room into the hallway and into the office which needs a lot of work!

Guest bedroom - and the world's oldest working television!

Guest room

Guest bath - and the first non-white shower curtain I've had in my house in years!

The right side of the laundry room - the left side has the ironing board.  The door goes to the garage.

Office - temporary house to small office furniture and my favorite chair!

More kitchen - looking from laundry room toward breakfast room and back of the house

Patio - complete with the lion statues Nick bought when he had his first house... they've moved with us too many times to count!

Back of the house from the gazebo and park

Another front shot from across the street

Nick's man-cave.  The walls are painted with a metallic finish, so they look really shiny!

Another shot of the man cave

Nick's closet - so happy he has his own space and I have mine!  

My closet.  I love being this organized!
The Dining Room - which is currently home to a mirror I'm painting!

The very empty 2nd guest room, but soon we'll have furniture in here and room to house our WHOLE family at once!


1 comment:

  1. YAY! Everything looks fabulous! Can't wait to come visit!

    ReplyDelete